Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Real Meaning of the Chinese expression, Aiya!!

Aiya! 






What does Aiya mean?  Have you heard the Chinese say it in conversations? Sometimes they even shout it followed with heated words.  It’s the only expression I know that crosses the major dialects like Mandarin and Cantonese and used in the same way.  It can mean “Oh crap!” or “Oops!” or “What the #@!%” depending on the situation. 


So what is the speaker really saying?  Well it depends on the situation.   Here are some examples:

“Aiya, you got an A- on your exam and not an A!?!” ”
Angry Asian parent reacting to their child scoring the highest bio-chemistry class exam.  

“Aiya…this gift really isn’t necessary.”
Modest Asian gift receiving of non-acceptance

“AIYA!” (shouting)

Shock of Asian grandparents seeing the younger generation kissing in public.

“Aiya!” (blurted rapidly)
Frustration when dropping chopsticks onto the restaurant floor 

“Aiya, I won!”

Excitement in winning the lotto.
“Aiya….” (said with affection)

A girlfriend persuading her boyfriend

As you can see, Aiya can mean many different things, but it usually involves drama and never used lightly.  It can be a stress reliever and sometimes it’s a stress starter depending on the situation. Even in my book series, The Beijing Family, Grandma Moh often shouts Aiya! in frustration when she’s not getting her point across.   






Written by Gina Tang, author of The Beijing Family book series, www.thebeijingfamily.blogspot.com 

Photo credit: Google




1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone, today is a productive day. Working on my projects that need to be done in the next week and also coming up with a new strategy for my business goals. I am talking about Mr Pedro, a loan official who helped approve my loan to start up my business at a rate of 3% so I'm really hoping in the coming weeks I can get myself back up and going and not let anything keep me down. I hate this up and down stuff each day is different and I just hate how I feel. I am ready to be that person I was over a year ago who is on track and knows what is important, good health and going for my goals. I just keep faith that I will get back on track and also look forward to the many changes coming into my life in the next few weeks. Keep me in your thoughts, all positive energy is really needed.
    for business loan.personal loan,car loan,home loan and other financial assistance.
    Contact mr pedro for a loan on pedroloanss@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete